Thursday, June 18, 2009

Off to Texas. Off to say goodbye

Last weekend my grandpa (dad's dad) fell, breaking his elbow and hip. In order to fix the hip they had to completely sedate him, something they didn't want to do. Since then things have not improved at all. He developed pneumonia, began to have trouble swallowing, and wasn't able to speak.

Turns out he had a serious stroke as well.

He has left instructions that he does not want any heroic measures including a feeding tube which would be the next step. Hospice has been called.

Grandpa hasn't been happy ever since grandma died. He just hasn't seen the point of being around with Betty not by his side. He doesn't seem to be fighting to stay around so we are all preparing for him to go.

So I'm heading to Texas to say goodbye to my last grandparent. I don't know how to do it.

4 comments:

Amy L. said...

Oh, Em, I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Kate said...

I had to do the same thing about a year and a half ago. It's hard. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Pickles and Dimes said...

I'm so sorry, Emily.

I'm glad you'll be able to say goodbye; that's something I was fortunate to do with both my grandparents (seeing them both less than a week before they died), whereas my mom didn't get to see my grandma while she was still alert, and I know that still bothers her.

Heather said...

Big hugs to you this weekend honey! I'll see you soon!