Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tally's all better now but a bit odd looking

So Tally had her appointment yesterday for a complete scope of her female bits and etc. The surgeon wanted to do the full scope to make sure that there was nothing else going on in there other than the polyp my vet saw. Of course this was all after the surgeon put the fear of death on me about what the polyp could actually be instead of being a polyp. Let me tell you the other options I DID NOT LIKE! Oh holy hell did they frighten me. So of course in true Emily style I proceeded to stress about all of that from the day of our consult until the day of the procedure which were one week apart.

So yesterday I dropped Tally off for a day of beauty with the surgeon. I nearly started bawling my eyes out when she walked away from me with the tech. I got to work and a few hours later they called to tell me that they had started the procedure. Then a while later the surgeon called to say that it was just a polyp and everything else in all of her bits looks good. He also said that he was going to try to remove it using the scope rather than another more invasive method that involved scalpels and stitches and all sorts of nasty things. Success! The 2 to 3 cm polyp was removed using the scope and Tally could be picked up later that day. WAHOO!!!! There was much rejoicing. I walked around work with a shit eating grin on my face telling each and every one of my co-workers that Tally was fine! I'm such a goon.

So I went to pick her up and talked to the surgical tech for the post-op information. First thing she says when she came into the waiting room was how adorable Tally was and how much everyone loved her. Yes, it's true I have the most adorable dog on the planet! Then she left to get Tally. Oh my poor little girl was SO hungover. She staggered her way along the hallway bumping into door frames and slumping on the ground after getting to me. Then she staggered her way to the car and I was able to lift her into the back seat. She spent the ride home trying with all of her might to keep herself propped up rather than lying down. Why didn't she just lay down? No clue.

Then when we got home she was really disoriented and tried to get away from me when I went to get her out of the car. So I went to the other side of the car and she promptly moved to the other door. Finally I talked her out of the car and into the house. Once in the house she staggered around in circles for a bit and then passed out. A few hours later she stirred enough to get up and stagger around in circles again and look longingly at me up on the couch. She decided she couldn't possibly jump on the couch and collapsed where she was standing. Then a while later more longing looks and finally an attempt to get on the couch. Partial success. She got up there but her back legs lagged behind. And again it was pass out city.

After a while I tried to get her to take a pain pill encased in peanut butter but she would not have it. So I tried smearing the peanut butter pill on a piece of her food. Nope. So I pried open her little jaws and smooshed it down on the back of her tongue. Not long after that I was too tired so I went to bed. This morning she didn't do her normal wake up routine nor did she want much of a walk. She slowly ate breakfast and I got a pain pill in her before I left for work which is good. Now I'm nervous that she had a tough day.

Oh and for the scoping they had to shave several parts of her body. The shins of her front legs, the calf of one of her back legs and her entire private region. I'll see if I can get a good picture of it tonight. You know for posterity not to poke fun at her or anything. :)

So it's all good. My little Tally bear is on the mend. A Thousand $$$ later but oh well.

1 comment:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Oh, I'm so SO happy Tally is OK! What a relief, huh?

I don't like it when vets start with the whole, "Well, it could be nothing...or it could be HORRIBLE, DEATH-CAUSING AILMENT." Don't do that, dude!

Passed-out, groggy dogs are so sad. And funny. Cats are even worse. I had to sedate my cat once when I moved to another state, and I caught her staggering from the top of the refrigerator, about to plummet to her death.

Hope you guys have a nice weekend!