Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Occupational Frustrations

Again. It has happened again. I was trying to help boss guy tweak a new system we are about to install but every suggestion for improvement I have he doesn't like or for some reason doesn't want to implement. I cannot figure out what to do. I have no control at all over how he chooses to program the new system or how it works. I'm going to be the one who deals with the thousands of people who will be confused about the changes. This upgrade will greatly affect my job and how I deal with our customers, but I have little to no input on how it will work. I cannot even begin to tell you how much this frustrates me.

We are a small, small, small company. It was one of the things that drew me to this job. I thought I would really be able to make an impact on how the company functions and how we do things. That is not happening at all. My suggestions and ideas are not part of the picture. I am not listened to. My ideas are seemingly ignored. My needs and the needs of my position are unimportant. I'm losing every ounce of patience I can muster to deal with this on a daily basis.

What do I do about it? I can't imagine him ever changing how he wants to run this place or him ever placing importance on the customer management side of the world (my domain).

This seems to come up every time I have to deal with him on something, no matter what the topic. Is it ever going to improve? Am I ever going to feel like a part of this company rather than a butt in a chair who answers the phone and responds to emails? I wanted more than this. I was told it would be more than this. I want more than this because this isn't enough.

So the time has come to dust off the resume and see what's out there. No harm in looking and it may help me feel like I'm in control of my occupation again. I like being in control but I certainly know how to collaborate. I have no control here and I definitely am not able to collaborate.

Wanna hire me?

No comments: