Friday, October 19, 2007

The Art of Flipping

On my way to and from work every day I have to pass through a 6-way stop. A 4-way stop is usually challenging enough for most drivers because people really don't pay attention to who should go and when. So imagine a 6-way gathering at a very crowded location, a recipe for disaster.

This morning was proceeding normally until it got to what I thought was my turn. Let me preface this by saying that I am one of those people who does pay attention to who has taken their turn and when, even if there are several cars ahead of me in my lane. So I don't just go because I want to take my turn with no regard for the other cars and their drivers.

As I was moving forward from my stop sign the car across from me apparently believed that I had just struck down a grandmother or killed his puppy or something else as horrid and terrible. As he crossed in front of me he looked directly at me and flipped me off. I also believe that he said something with the equal amount of bile and hatred as his middle finger displayed. To top it all off he had a child sitting next to him in his little truck.

Was what happened really worth all of that anger and hatred especially in front of a child? I don't think so. It was an honest case of someone believing they had the right of way and someone else believing that they did. I can only hope that man did not go on to have one road rage incident after another this morning. I also hope that he did not take his anger out on his child.

Life is too short to take his approach to it.

No comments: