Wednesday, October 31, 2007

We speak different languages

I've realized that my boss and I speak different languages.

Every time that he and I talk about something he wants my input on he doesn't understand what I'm saying and I cannot make any sense of what he is saying. So I must assume that we aren't in fact speaking the same language. It's the only way I can think to explain the fact that we generally get frustrated trying to work together on something.

So what's an employee to do?? Shall I play the "So what I hear you saying..." game with him every time? I thought I had good communication skills but he is making me doubt that. I used to be able to speak to all sorts of people. From IT to customers to manufacturing staff. Seems like a broad section of the world, right? But for some reason boss and I don't seem to be able to speak to each other in what I feel is a productive manner.

I have got to work on that because it bothers me and I can't expect him to change. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!!

No comments: