Friday, April 11, 2008

I love the Mountain

This morning my favorite radio station is broadcasting their morning show from a Tully's just down the hill from where I work. I planned on leaving the house early so I could stop by. As I was driving toward work my head kept telling me that I shouldn't go. That I should just go to the Starbucks I normally hit.

Why was my head telling me I shouldn't go? What was the problem? Well because it was out of my comfort zone of course. That silly little zone I've placed myself in that keeps me "safe and sound". Or at least that's how it feels, safe. But it's not safe it's just easy.

So I told that voice to shut the hell up and I went to that Tully's. It was crazy alive in there. I kept glancing over at Marty (the morning show host). I wanted so badly to go over and tell him how much I enjoy his show. But I didn't. I stood there and waited for my Chai.

As I walked out the side door there he was, Marty! He had gone out the front door and was headed to his car for something. He looked at me and said "Hi". I asked him how he handles being in there in all of that craziness. He said it was by leaving and hiding in his car. He asked if I worked near by and made sure I had gotten one of their 20 Funny CD's. I said yes to both and then gushed a bit and told him how much I loved listening to them. He was so sweet he grabbed my elbow and said a very sincere thank you.

So there you have it. I made those voices shut the hell up and got to say Hi to Marty. What a great way to start my morning. I feel so much more alive and awake and a part of the world. Well done me!

1 comment:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Oh, good job! I'm that way too, where I'll try to talk myself out of doing something because it's out of my comfort zone.

Which is sad, because every time I do try something different, I feel so alive and never regret it.